Friday, January 7, 2011

Too busy to be skeptical

I have been just too busy to be skeptical. Xmas has been a nice holiday, but there are so many things to do to enterian kiddies, and trying to organise our househld after a new supply of toys and games and clothes and food have arrived has turned into a week-long task! I think I am almost at the end of the tunnel, but there are still two rooms of disorganisation, and just between you and me, I don't think my plans will be any more successful this year than in years past.

I had a run in with my brother over the letter to the editor I wrote a couple of weeks ago, expressing my opinion that psychics who prey on the grief-stricken are as bad as the pervert who tried to gain notoriety by confessing involvement in the Daniel Morcombe case. I posted the published letter to Facebook because I was happy it made it into the paper, and my brother was outraged. that I would damage the people I know who beleive in psychics and use them to speak with their dead loved-ones.

My immediate respnse was "it's my facebook page" and it wasn't until I listned to his side of the story that I felt a png of regret for sending the letter. At least, I thought it was regret, but I think it is better described as empathy.

I understand the pain of losing a loved-one. I know I have my own pecadillos and if anyone shakes my world view I can get cranky or defensive, but I hadn't thought much about what upset a simple letter copuld provoke, and I feel compassion for people who I may have upset. I don't, however, think I did anything worng, and I don't think that ayone has the right to stop me publishig my thoughts.

I guess this just made me review my attitude to skeptivism, and I think it was a timely reminder that even whe you are right, even when what you are working to do right, you always hve to b aware of how others will react and ensure you have done what you can to be accurate, factual and polite. The level of politeness applicable may increase or decrease under different circumstances, but I think it is important to always have evidence that you were polite, acknowledge the impact of any hurt you cause, and move forward with a positive attitude.

This reminds me, I haven't read up on the Skpetics response to crticism over the Bent Spoon in 2010. I think that's a topic worth investigating. I'm hopeful it will all be resolved amicably. Surely we're grown up enough to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment